Vegan Food Products
Paper 3 – Economy
Why Should You Know?
Recently the first consignment of vegetable based meat product under the Vegan food category was exported from Gujarat to America.
In details –
- In a move to boost exports of unique agricultural processed food products, the centre through apex export promotion body — Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Authority (APEDA) — facilitated the export of first consignment of plant-based meat products under Vegan food category from Nadiad in Kheda district in Gujarat to California,the United States of America (USA).
- With the growing popularity of vegan food products in developed countries, the plant-based food products have a huge export potential in the international market due to the high nutrient value of the vegan food products.
- Due to its rich fiber and lesser cholesterol contents, vegan food products are becoming alternative food products across the globe.
- The first shipment that was exported to the USA from Nadiad has vegan food products like momos, mini samosas, patties, nuggets, spring rolls, burgers, etc. The logistics support was provided by the Kheda district administration.
- APEDA is working towards promotion of plant-based meat products in a big way without disturbing the conventional animal-based meat export market.
- The APEDA has planned to promote a variety of vegan foods products, including pancake, snacks, cheese, etc, to the countries of Australia, Israel, New Zealand and others in coming months.
- On the occasion, APEDA, Gujarat’s Regional Head stressed on adding more plant-based meat products in APEDA’s export basket.The first consignment of plant-based food products were exported by Greennest and Wholesome Foods.
APEDA’s Effort –
- APEDA has taken number of export promotion activities and initiatives, by way of development of virtual portals for organizing Virtual Trade Fairs, Farmer Connect Portal, e-office, HortiNet Traceability system, Buyer Seller Meets, Reverse Buyer Seller Meets, product specific campaigns etc. APEDA has been closely working with the state government for creating infrastructure and promotion of export from the state.
- APEDA assists in upgradation and strengthening of recognized laboratories for export testing and residue monitoring plans.
- APEDA also provides assistance under the financial assistance schemes of infrastructure development, quality improvement and market development for boosting export of agricultural products.
- APEDA organizes participation of exporters in the International Trade Fairs, which provides a platform to the exporters to market their food products in the global marketplace. APEDA also organizes national events like AAHAR, Organic World Congress, BioFach India etc. to promote agri-exports.
- In order to ensure seamless quality certification of products to be exported, APEDA has recognized 220 labs across India to provide services of testing a wide range of products to exporters.
What is APEDA?
- Full Name of APEDAis – Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority
- APEDA is a body under the Ministry of Commerce and Industry whose job is to promote exports.
- It has been established by the Government of India under the APEDA Act, 1985.
- Earlier, the name of this body was Processed Food Export Promotion Council (PFEPC).
- The body was entrusted with the responsibility to pay special attention to the export of these items which include fruits, vegetables, meat, poultry, milk products, honey, jaggery, sugar, cocoa, alcohol and non-alcoholic beverages, anchar, papad, chutney, cereals, Includes peanuts, walnuts, flowers, guar gum, herbs and medicinal plants.
- Apart from this, APEDA has also been entrusted with the responsibility of monitoring the import of sugar.
- It has also been entrusted with the responsibility of determining the standards and specifications of export products and canning and bringing them to the market.
- NITI Aayog has issued instructions to implement the standards set by APEDA for organic products so that they can have maximum entry into the world market.
Administrative structure –
- Chairman – Appointed by the Central Government
- Director – Appointed byAPEDA
- Secretary – Appointed by the Central Government
- Other Officers and Employees – Appointed byAPEDA
International Day of Sign Languages
Paper 2 –Education
Why Should You Know?
International Day of Sign Languages is celebrated annually across the world on 23 September
- Indian Sign Language Research and Training Centre (ISLRTC), New Delhi under the aegis of DEPwD (Divyangjan), Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Govt. of India will be celebrating Sign Language Day-2022 on 23rd September 2022 at C.D. Deshmukh Auditorium, India International Centre (IIC), New Delhi.
- Ever since the United Nations declared 23rd September as the International Day of Sign Languages, the ISLRTC celebrates it every year on 23rd September.
- This year National Implementation Committee (NIC) chaired by Home Minister inter-alia approved the event – “Sign Language Day” on 23rd Sep, 2022 to be conducted and celebrated by Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment” (Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities), under “Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav” celebration.
- On the occasion of this milestone celebration, all the NIs under DEPwD/CRCs/RCs/Associated NGOs/Deaf Schools have been advised to conduct various activities to celebrate Sign Language Day within and outside their respective organizations to have maximum public outreach (maximum Jan Bhagidhari).
- DEPwD and ISLRTC are making all the possible efforts to bring more citizens, stakeholders, service providing agencies, Deaf schools, NGOs, activists, Deaf leaders, educators, researchers etc. together into the fold of the Sign Language Day in order to create positive awareness about Indian Sign Language among all sections of our society.
- As per the plan of action, approximately 3,200 organizations/ institutions have been roped in for celebrating Sign Language Day-2022 under Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav.
- The objective of the Sign Language Day celebration at large scale is to sensitize the general public about the importance of Indian sign languages, and the information and communication accessibility for persons with hearing disabilities. Sign language not only plays an important role in educating people, but also is vital in creating employment and vocational training for persons with hearing disabilities.
- The theme of this year Sign Language Day-2022 is “Sign Languages Unite us”. As per WFD, on this Day, together we sign onto a declaration of support for sign languages as an essential human right for deaf people, and sign for human rights! On this day, collective efforts of deaf communities, governments, and civil society representatives are made to recognize and promote the different national sign languages around the world.
Why 23 September?
- On 23 September 1951, the World Federation of the Deaf was established, a union of 135 national associations of deaf people, to promote the human rights of approximately 70 million deaf people around the world.
- For this reason 23 September was chosen as the sign language day.
- The International Week of the Deaf was first observed in September 1958 and has since grown into a global movement for solidarity of the deaf.
Paper 3 – Economy
Why Should You Know?
Recently, REC accorded with ‘Maharatna’ company status
In details –
- Public sector company REC (REC Ltd.) has got the status of ‘Maharatna’ Central Public Sector Enterprise (CPSE). With this status, the company will get more operational and financial autonomy.
- REC is the 12th company to get the title of Maharatna. The Department of Public Enterprises under the Ministry of Finance issued an order in this regard on Wednesday.
- This is the highest status given to a government company. This will give more powers to the RIC board in taking financial decisions.
- REC was formed in 1969. It is a non-banking financial company (NBFC) focused on finance and development of the power sector across the country.
who gets this status
- Maharatna status is given to such companies which are listed on the stock exchange and whose annual turnover in the last three years is more than 25,000 crores. Also, its average net worth in the last three years should be more than Rs 15000 crore and average net profit should be more than Rs 5000 crore.
- After getting Maharatna status, REC can now invest up to Rs 5000 crore or 15 per cent of its net worth in a single project.
- The company got Maharatna status at a time when the government is contemplating to give it Development Finance Institution (DFI) status.
- With this, the company can focus on global climate funding and net zero investment in the country. Presently this company provides financial assistance to State Electricity Boards, State Governments, Central and State Electricity Companies, Independent Power Producers, Rural Electric Cooperatives and Private Sector Companies.
- Apart from this, there are 13 Navratna and 74 Miniratna Central Public Sector Enterprises in the country.
Other Maharatna Companies
Prior to this, companies that have received Maharatna status include
- Power Finance Corporation,
- Bharat Heavy Electricals Ltd.,
- Bharat Petroleum Corporation Ltd.,
- Coal India Ltd.,
- GAIL (GAIL (India) Ltd),
- Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Ltd (Hindustan Petroleum Corp. Ltd),
- Indian Oil Corporation Ltd (Indian Oil Corp. Ltd),
- NTPC Ltd,
- Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Ltd (Oil & Natural Gas) Corp. Ltd.),
- Power Grid Corporation of India Ltd. and
- Steel Authority of India Ltd. (Steel Authority of India Ltd.).
- REC (newly added)
Nistar&Nipun-Diving Support Vessels
Paper 3 – Security
Why Should You Know?
Two Diving Support Vessels (Nistar&Nipun) being built by Hindustan Shipyard Ltd, Visakhapatnam were launched on 22 Sep 22.
- Two Diving Support Vessels (Nistar&Nipun) being built by Hindustan Shipyard Ltd, Visakhapatnam were launched on 22 Sep 22 by Mrs Kala Hari Kumar, in presence of Adm R Hari Kumar, Chief of the Naval Staff who presided the ceremony as Chief Guest.
- VAdm RB Pandit CinC SFC, VAdm Dasgupta, FOCinC Eastern Naval Command, VAdml Kiran Deshmukh, Controller Warship Production & Acquisition and other senior officers from the Indian Navy & Ministry of Defence were amongst the dignitaries who attended the launching ceremony.
- Indigenously designed and built at HSL, these ships are a true testimonial to ‘Aatmanirbharta’. They are self-sustaining platforms which can operate at sea for prolonged durations.
- The contract for the construction of the two vessels was signed with the Hindustan Shipyard Limited (HSL) in 2018 to the tune of Rs 2,392.94 crore.
- DSVs equipped with an array of complex Diving Support systems and Deep Submergence Rescue Vessel (DSRV) will be deployed for deep sea diving and submarine rescue operations. Furthermore, the ships will be capable of conducting Search and Rescue operations and carrying out Helicopter Operations at sea.
- This project is being executed with support from Indian industry primarily MSME firms who have supplied Yard material, equipment and services. Shipyard is extensively using the GeM portal for procuring material and services for the project. More than 120 MSME vendors across India have actively participated in the Project.
- “Nistar” and “Nipun” were launched by achieving approx 80% indigenous content, a major step towards ‘Self Reliance’. DSV project has generated local employment opportunities and promoted indigenisation which will boost India’s economy.
- Mrs Kala Hari Kumar, President Navy Wellness and Welfare Association (NWWA) performed the traditional honour and named these ships. These ships received a thunderous cheer from jubilant gathering as they embraced the welcoming waters of the Bay of Bengal.
Agni Tattva Campaign
Paper 2- Social Justice
Why Should You Know?
A function on the launch of the ‘Agni Tatva – Energy for Life’ initiative was organized on 21st September, 2022 at the Nehru Memorial Museum and Library, New Delhi.
- A function on the launch of the ‘Agni Tatva – Energy for Life’ initiative was organized on 21st September, 2022 at the Nehru Memorial Museum and Library, New Delhi. It is an initiative under Sumangalam’s umbrella campaign.
- Power Foundation of India in association with Vijnana Bharati (VIBHA) organised seminars, events, and exhibitions involving communities, educational institutions, and relevant organisations to create awareness of the core concept of Agni Tattva, an element that is synonymous with energy and is amongst the five elements of Panchmahabhoot.
- The outreach program provided a platform to deliberate upon the learning and experiences of subject experts and specialists and explore solutions for a sustainable future for all. The initiative covered several important topics focusing on health, transport, consumption and production, security, environment, and spirituality.
- The idea of LiFE-Lifestyle for the Environment was introduced by Hon’ble Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi during the 26th United Nations Climate Change Conference of the Parties (COP26) in Glasgow last year.
About Power Foundation of India
- Power Foundation of India is a Society formed under the aegis of Ministry of Power, Government of India, and supported by leading CPSEs.
- The Foundation is involved in areas of advocacy and research, positively impacting the evolving energy landscape.
Puneet Sagar Abhiyan
Paper 3- Environment
Why Should You Know?
Recently The UN Environment Programme (UNEP) has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the National Cadet Corps (NCC) to tackle the issue of plastic pollution.
- National Cadet Corps (NCC) and United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) in the presence of Raksha Mantri Shri Rajnath Singh in New Delhi on September 22, 2022 to tackle the issue of plastic pollution and achieve the universal goal of clean water bodies through ‘Puneet Sagar Abhiyan’ and ‘Tide Turners Plastic Challenge programme’.
- The MoU was signed between DG NCC Lt Gen Gurbirpal Singh and Resident Representative, UN World Food ProgrammeMrBishow Parajuli. Raksha Rajya Mantri Shri Ajay Bhatt, Defence Secretary Dr Ajay Kumar; other senior officials of Ministry of Defence and representatives of UNEP were present on the occasion.
- Describing ‘Puneet Sagar Abhiyan’ as one of the noblest initiatives, the Defence Secretary, in his address, lauded the efforts of NCC in making the campaign a grand success. He asserted that 1.5 million NCC cadets have the ability to influence the thinking of youth across the world, exuding confidence that they will be instrumental in making the campaign a mass movement. Dr Ajay Kumar thanked the UNEP for extending its support to NCC for the campaign, stating that “it is our collective responsibility to protect the environment for future generations to live a long and healthy life”.
Pillar of India’s climate change resolve
- The ‘Puneet Sagar Abhiyan’ is among the slew of initiatives taken by the Government to realise the vision of Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi, which he referred to as ‘Panchamrit’ during the 26th United Nations Climate Change conference, COP26, held in Glasgow, Scotland between October 31 to November 13, 2021. The Prime Minister had presented five nectar elements as India’s unprecedented contribution to deal with climate change. These are:
- India will take its non-fossil energy capacity to 500 GW by 2030.
- India will meet 50 per cent of its energy requirements from renewable energy by 2030.
- India will reduce the total projected carbon emissions by one billion tonnes from now till 2030.
- By 2030, India will reduce the carbon intensity of its economy by more than 45 per cent.
- By 2070, India will achieve the target of Net Zero.
The NCC had, on December 01, 2021, launched‘Puneet Sagar Abhiyan’, a nationwide flagship campaign, initially for one month, to clean sea shores of plastic & other waste material, while raising awareness about the importance of cleanliness. It was subsequently extended as a Pan-India round-the-year campaign to cover rivers and other water bodies as well.
The NCC, the largest uniformed youth organisation in the world, mobilised its cadets to collect plastic and other waste material. The campaign gained tremendous momentum, acceptance and participation following its launch. Different Ministries and organisations, including Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change, Department of Science & Technology, Indian Navy, Indian Coast Guard, Sainik School Society, Army Welfare Education Society, Border Roads Organisation and National Highways Authority of India have extended their support to the NCC in this noble cause.
Since the launch of ‘Puneet Sagar Abhiyan’, over 100 tonnes of plastic waste have been collected from nearly 1,900 locations by more than 12 lakh NCC cadets, alumni and volunteers, impacting 1.5 crore people. Of the approximately 100 tonnes of collected plastic waste, more than 60 tonnes have been handed over for recycling.
‘Puneet Sagar Abhiyan’ – a Tide Turner
- Following the growing support and success of the campaign, the UNEP, engaged in this initiative through their ‘Tide Turner Challenge Programme’, decided to join hands with the NCC, with the aim to leverage the youth organisation’s strengths.
- The UN body has the mandate and knowledge base for addressing various issues relating to environment, including plastic pollution and has a programme for engaging youth.
- The aim of the MoU between NCC and UNEP is to synergise and collate efforts towards engaging youth for promoting clean water bodies.
- The objective is to engage in capacity building and awareness on environmental sustainability through information sharing and training initiatives; promote opportunities for NCC cadets to participate in appropriate national & international platforms related to environment and climate change and engage in and develop joint initiatives of mutual intent pertaining to environment and climate change.
- The MoU, to remain in force for a period of three years, aims at consolidating, developing and detailing their cooperation and effectiveness to achieve the common objectives in the field of environment.
International Telecommunication Union
Paper 3 – Science & Tech
Why Should You Know?
The Minister of State for Communications, Shri Devusinh Chauhanto lead the Indian delegation to take part in the Plenipotentiary Conference 2022 in Bucharest, Romania
- The Minister of State for Communications, Shri Devusinh Chauhan will be leading the Indian delegation to take part in the Plenipotentiary Conference 2022 (PP-22) of ITU (International Telecommunication Union) and last meeting of the 2022 session of ITU Council from 24th September to 14th October, 2022 in Bucharest, Romania.
- During the conference, elections will be held from among Member States to constitute next ITU Council for the term 2023-26. The elections of the Secretary General, the Deputy Secretary General, the Directors of Bureaus as well as Members of Radio Regulations Board of ITU have also been scheduled.
- India has put up its candidature to be re-elected as a Member of the next ITU Council. Smt. M. Revathi, a senior officer in the Department of Telecommunications has Also been fielded for the post of Member, Radio Regulations Board.
- The Minister of State for Communications would participate in the Ministerial Round Table on “Building a better digital future for all” where he will showcase the giant leaps made by India in the field of telecommunications during last decade.
- It will include impending launch of commercial 5G mobile services in the country, providing mobile services to all uncovered villages by the end of 2023, extending optical fiber to all 6.4 lakhs villages and development of fully indigenous 4G stack and 5G stack under Atmanirbhar Bharat initiatives.
- Shri Chauhan will also be touching upon the digital India programme, a flagship programme of the Government of India, which stresses on faceless, paperless and cashless functioning to transform India into digitally empowered society and knowledge economy. Robustness and popularity of Digital Payment System of India is a great case study for the entire world.
- Apart from above, he will highlight the success of CoWIN for Covid vaccination programme, Aadhaar-Unique Identification Number, DIKSHA for online education, UPI for Banking, UMANG App which provides more than 200 e-governance services and more than lakh Common Service Centers for providing e-governances facilities in the villages.
- The Minister will participate in Commonwealth Ministerial Round Table as well as the Heads of Delegation Meeting. He will also be making a policy statement on “Connect and Unite” on behalf of India. Several bilateral meetings with various friendly foreign countries have also been scheduled during the event to deepen the existing collaboration and explore the possibilities of collaboration in new areas of mutual interest.
About International Telecommunication Union
- The International Telecommunication Union is a specialized agency of the United Nations responsible for many matters related to information and communication technologies.
- It was established on 17 May 1865 as the International Telegraph Union, making it the oldest UN agency.
- The ITU promotes the shared global use of the radio spectrum, facilitates international cooperation in assigning satellite orbits, assists in developing and coordinating worldwide technical standards, and works to improve telecommunication infrastructure in the developing world.
- It is also active in the areas of broadband Internet, wireless technologies, aeronautical and maritime navigation, radio astronomy, satellite-based meteorology, TV broadcasting, amateur radio, and next-generation networks.
- Based in Geneva, Switzerland, the ITU’s global membership includes 193 countries and around 900 business, academic institutions, and international and regional organizations.
National Energy Leader Award
Paper 3 – Infrastructure
Why Should You Know?
Recently RINL got the National Energy Leading Award for the fourth time in a row.
- RashtriyaIspat Nigam Limited (RINL) has been awarded National Energy Leader Award for fourth time consecutively and Excellent Energy Efficient Unit Award for sixth time in row from 2017 onwards from Confederation of Indian Industry Godrej Green Business Centre.
- It is rare achievement in any Integrated Steel Plant and PSU to win National Energy Leader Award Continuously for four years.
- Shri AK Saxena, Director (Operations), RINL and Shri Abhijit Chakrabarti, CGM(Works)-Incharge, RINL received these prestigious awards from Shri Ashok Kumar, Dy. Director General, Bureau of Energy Efficiency, Ministry of Power, Govt. of India at the 23 rd National Award for Excellence in Energy Management programme held at New Delhi, today.
- RINL reduced specific energy consumption from 6.25 Gcal (Giga calories) / tCS (ton of crude steel) to 6.02 Gcal/tCS in 2021-22 and registered a reduction of about 4% over previous year.
- RINL is pioneer in installing state of art cleaner Technologies like Coke Dry Quenching, Sinter Heat Recovery Power Plant, Top Pressure Recovery Turbine, and LD Gas Recovery.
- RINL has taken various measures such as increasing waste heat recovery, Increase in Pulverised Coal Injection in BF and reduction in BF Gas bleeding.
- RINL has made a specific action plan to decarbonise Steel (Achieving Net Zero emissions) and to achieve carbon neutrality by 2047 in line with MoS objective. RINL also obtained the largest number of Energy Saving Certificates (Escerts) in Perform, Achieve and Trade (PAT) 2nd Cycle.
- RINL is the first Integrated Steel Plant to adopt ISO 50001 Energy Management System.
About RashtriyaIspat Nigam
- RashtriyaIspat Nigam Limited, (abbreviated as RINL), also known as Vizag Steel, is a government owned steel producer based in Visakhapatnam, India.
- The steel plant is located in the southern part of Visakhapatnam city, Andhra Pradesh state of India.
- It is under the ownership of Ministry of Steel , Government of India.
- When founded in 1982, RINL was wholly owned by the Government of India. In November 2010, the company was granted the Navratna status by the government.
National Awards For Excellence In CSR And Sustainability
Paper 2 –Social Issues
Why Should You Know?
Recently NMDC Wins National Awards For Excellence In CSR And Sustainability.
In details –
- NMDC, the country’s largest iron ore producer, has been conferred with National Awards for Excellence in CSR and Sustainability bestowed by ET Ascent in Bengaluru on 22 September 2022.
- Company’s Director (Production) Shri Dilip Kumar Mohanty received the accolades presented to NMDC for Sustainable Income Generation and Best Overall CSR Excellence.
- NMDC is committed to shape a sustainable and resilient future for India.The mining major has invested decades in enhancing the quality of life of its host communities while ensuring that the development is socio-culturally sustainable.
- NMDC’s CSR Focus Areas – Education, Health, Skill Development, Infrastructure, and Safe Drinking Water are creating value and opportunities for people in the hinterlands of India.
- The company has demonstrated consciousness and commitment in its approach towards the environment. Known as the Eco-Friendly Miners, NMDC’s responsible mine planning has been lauded by the Indian Bureau of Mines with a 5 Star Rating to all its complexes.
- NMDC Limited, (formerly National Mineral Development Corporation), is a government owned mineral producer.
- It is established in 1958.
- It is under the ownership of Ministry of Steel, Government of India.
- It is involved in the exploration of iron ore, copper, rock phosphate, limestone, dolomite, gypsum, bentonite, magnesite, diamond, tin, tungsten, graphite, coal etc.
- It is India’s largest iron ore producer and exporter, producing more than 35 million tonnes of iron ore from three mechanized mines in Chhattisgarh and Karnataka.
- It also operates the only mechanized diamond mine in the country at Panna in Madhya Pradesh.
GeM Seller Samvad
Paper 3 – Economy
Why Should You Know?
Recently GeM Seller Samvad held in Panaji, Goa
- Government e-Marketplace vendors from Goa shared their experiences at the GeM Seller Samvad held in Panaji today. The event provided an opportunity to the GeM sellers of the state to get acquainted with new GeM features and functionalities that further make it conducive for them to operate on the portal.
- Since inception, GeM has facilitated over 1 crore transactions valued at over 3.02 lakh crore. From Goa, 9417 vendors have registered themselves on the platform, generating an order value of 231.05 Crore since the platform’s inception.
- Addressing the gathering, Additional Secretary (Finance), Government of Goa and State Nodal Officer for GeM, Vikas Gaunekar said there is a total transparency in the process.
- He stated that the platform has a very prompt payment system and the government is trying to give a bigger push. The secretary also took the opportunity to appeal to all GST registered traders in Goa to register on the GeM portal. GeM portal is a win-win situation for vendors as well as government, added Gaunekar.
About Government e Marketplace (GeM)
- Government e Marketplace (GeM), the National Public Procurement Portal of the country is an end-to-end online Marketplace for the procurement of goods and services.
- It was launched on August 9, 2016, as part of the vision of the Hon’ble Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi for redefining public procurement.
- GeM has been able to bring about radical changes in the way procurement was done by Government buyers and public sector undertakings.
- GeM is contactless, paperless, and cashless and stands on three pillars: efficiency, transparency, and inclusivity.
- It is noteworthy that GeM has surpassed the milestone of INR 1 Lakh Crore of procurement value, in a single fiscal year in FY 21-22. Since its inception, GeM has facilitated over 1 Crore transactions valued at over INR 3.02 Lakh Crore. This has only been possible with the support of all stakeholders including buyers and sellers across the country.
- The buyer base of GeM comprises all Central and State Government departments, cooperative societies and public sector undertakings. The heterogeneous nature of GeM’s seller base clearly reflects on the founding pillar of ‘inclusivity’. Starting from the big companies and conglomerates, the seller base includes women entrepreneurs, Self Help Groups and MSME sellers from all over the country.
- Moreover, special provisions have also been created on the GeM portal to ensure a seamless on-boarding experience for MSMEs and SHGs. It is worth mentioning that 62 thousand registered government buyers and 50.90 lakh sellers and service providers speak for the size and scale of GeM operations.
- Since its inception, GeM has been steadily growing with new product and service categories being added constantly. Currently, there are about 300 service categories and over 10000+ product categories available on GeM. These categories feature around 44 lakhs catalogues of product and service offerings. Further, GeM is an evolving platform and relentlessly works towards adding new features and functionalities to the portal.