The Director General of the National Mission for Clean Ganga recently talked about the Earth Ganga model during his virtual keynote address at the Stockholm World Water Week 2022.
Prime Minister Modi first introduced this concept during the first “National Ganga Council” meeting in Kanpur in 2019, where he urged the central government’s flagship project to clean Ganga, Namami Gange, to change the model of Earth Ganga.
Under “the Arth Ganga” , the government is working on 6 Points of Work-
(1) Zero budget natural farming: This includes chemical free farming on 10 km on either side of the river and promotion of cow dung as manure through Govardhan Yojana.
(2) Monetization and reuse of sludge and waste water: for urban local bodies (ULBs) looking to reuse treated water for irrigation, industries and revenue generation.
(3) Opportunities for livelihood generation: By making haats where people can sell local produce, medicinal plants and Ayurveda.
(4) Increase public participation: By increasing synergy among the stakeholders associated with the river.
(5) To promote cultural heritage and tourism in and around the Ganga through boat tours, adventure sports and by conducting yoga activities.
(6) To promote institutional building by empowering local administration for better water administration.
world water week
World Water Week is celebrated every year in the last week of August. This week is marked by a conference organized every year by the Stockholm International Water Institute (SIWI). World Water Week began in 1991 as the Stockholm Water Symposium in the Swedish capital. The 2022 theme, “Seeing the Unseen: The Value of Water”, helps us see water in new and engaging ways.
Stockholm International Water Institute The Stockholm International Water Institute (SIWI) works globally to transform the way water is understood, valued and managed. It is a non profit organization. SIWI organizes the world’s leading water conference, World Water Week, and presents the prestigious Stockholm Water Prize.