In recent times, it has been seen that as soon as the chaotic elements do any kind of violence in any movement, then the government takes the help of bulldozer justice to teach them a quick lesson. For this, the government machinery first identifies such violent people. Then the unauthorized construction of such persons is demolished by the concerned government authority.
Arguments in favor of bulldozer justice-
(1) Peaceful movement may come under the category of Fundamental Right but violence in the name of movement does not come under the category of Fundamental Right.
(2) It is an offense to cause damage to public property. It is also a violation of the fundamental duties required to be performed by an Indian citizen.
(3) This creates fear in people with violent tendencies.
(4) It also ensures speedy justice.
(5) The government destroys only those immovable properties which are illegal. Apart from this, the state also informs such persons in advance so that these persons can get an opportunity to present their point of view before the authority.
Arguments in opposition to bulldozer justice-
(1) In this, the government is the judge, the bench and the body taking judicial action. This is against the principle of separation of power.
(2) Very serious sections have been imposed by the state administration on those accused of violence in the movement.
(3) Abuse of law
(4) Contrary to the rule of law
(5) How can you punish the whole family for the mistake of one person?
(6) In this way a negative message is sent to the country. This inspires other state governments to do the same.
(7) Violation of Fundamental Rights
(8) The Supreme Court in its two judgments has held that shelter is a fundamental right of a person. It is protected under Article 19(1)(f) and Article 21.
(9) Alleged adoption of selective approach in punishment
(10) A class considers itself isolated and distressed from the society.
What can be done?
I think the government should follow the constitutional methods. Such crime should be investigated first. After this, when the police prove any type of crime in the court, then the concerned criminal should be punished by the court. Bulldozer justice is against a democratic republic. This is also morally wrong. Apart from this, it also tarnishes the international image of India.