Recently the UGC’s draft legislation is in news. Let’s see what it has offered
What’s the provision?
The foreign universities can have their branches in India.
Harvard, Oxford and MIT
Benefits for India
- It’ll trigger the competition and encourage Indian universities to improve the
infrastructure, syllabus and pattern of education.
- Reduction in brain drain
- Availability of better education in own country.
- Opportunity of education to wider section of students
- Universities can decide the fee structure on their own.
- Teachers can be Indian or foreigners (best teachers)
- Facilities and infrastructure shouldn’t be inferior to that of the original campuses.
- Possibility of brain gain (foreign students coming to India for education)
- Since there is no fee cap, it’s possible that the education would be available for a
- certain section of students (poor students left behind)
- If infrastructure isn’t good enough, brain drain may continue at the present pace.
- Education provided may not be as per Indian society and needs.
- It may lead to mental slavery (though it’s least possible)
- Challenge for Indian institutes and universities.