Days after India and China completed disengagement at Pangong Tso, External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar spoke to the Chinese State Councillor and Foreign minister Wang Yi on Thursday and reviewed the status of disengagement.
The Centre has said the disengagement in the North and South Bank is a “significant first step” and the two sides will work towards a mutually acceptable resolution of the “remaining issues”.
“Spoke to State Councilor & Foreign Minister Wang Yi this afternoon. Discussed the implementation of our Moscow Agreement and reviewed the status of disengagement,” Jaishankar tweeted on Thursday.
Earlier in the day, the Ministry of External Affairs spokesperson Anurag Srivastava said, in response to questions, that the 10th round of the Senior Commanders meeting was held on February 20, which was convened within 48 hours of the completion of disengagement in the North and South Bank of Pangong Tso.
Recalling the joint statement after the Corps Commanders’ meeting, the MEA spokesperson said, “The two sides had a candid and in-depth exchange of views on the remaining issues along the LAC in the Western sector.”
“Both sides view the smooth and successful completion of disengagement in the North and South Bank as a significant first step as this forms a basis for resolution of remaining issues so as to achieve the eventual goal of complete disengagement in all friction areas. The two sides have agreed to work towards a mutually acceptable resolution of the remaining issues,” the spokesperson said.
Sources said that the two sides have exchanged proposals on outstanding issues in the region during the 10th round of military-level talks.